Sign up for housing utilities


College Life and UnitedConsumers are collaborating on making your life easy. Find the deal that suits you the most by choosing the product or service you'd like to sign up for. Then, simply compare the available offers and select the one that works best for you. Remember, that you can only sign product & service contracts if you meet the following criteria:

1) You have a Dutch bank account (don't have one yet?)
2) You have a Dutch address (don't have one yet?)

It's easier than you might think

Watch this video that will guide you through the entire process on the website of UnitedConsumers. Since the website is in Dutch, we've translated every step to make it easier for you. When you're ready to compare plans, click here.

Contact Support

1) Dial  040 235 05 06

2) Press "1"

 Frequently Asked Questions

Signing up for home utilities (gas, electricity and water) is required if you are renting out accommodation excluding utilities. Although most student housing offers on the market include home utilities, real estate agencies will often promote offers that exclude utilities. In addition to selecting providers of these home utilities, you will be required to pay taxes on the accommodation you are renting out. Make sure to read our complete student housing guide to prepare for specific taxes you can expect when renting out excluding utilities to avoid any unexpected fees.

College Life is collaborating with UnitedConsumers to provide you with cheap gas & electricity subscriptions. For some home utilities, such as water & energy, your selection might be restricted to only one or two companies, since they have special agreements in the areas where you live in. In contrast, there is a large selection of electricity, internet & landline providers.

It is important to also understand how you get billed for utilities. Usually, at the start of your contracts with home utility companies, you will receive a monthly estimation based on the average estimated consumption of the specific utility at your accommodation. Logically, the more students you live with the more you will pay (imagine the bills of frat & sorority houses!). Usually, at the end of a cycle (1 year), your actual consumption will be calculated and the difference between the estimated (estimated usage) and actual (real usage) will either result in a surplus or a deficit. If you are in a surplus, the home utility company will refund you for the difference. However, if you are in a deficit, you will have to pay the difference. Usually, this is no problem, as the companies are flexible with arranging payments in installments (in case you would be in a deficit).