Labour Law: Working in Holland

What would you like to know about Dutch labour law?

Working in the Netherlands as a student can be a wonderful experience. That’s why you shouldn’t be worrying about all the extras that come along with it. We have extensive pages on what exactly you need to know about working in the Netherlands, be it insurances or work permits. This all comes in the form of labour law.

If you are an international student, you might need a working permit. This is probably the most important aspect of Dutch labour law. For EU students, there aren't many regulations you need to follow (aside from a few exceptions). In the case of non-EU students, your employer will have to apply for a working permit for you. Additionally, there are other restrictions you need to be aware of. You can read more about working permits of all sorts under Work Permits.

When you start working, it is important to be insured. Most importantly, you need to have a health insurance; without one, you cannot work. There are lots of other types of insurances, like liability and accident insurance. Check out our Work Insurance page to find out more.

As a working student, it's always a good idea to know exactly what your contract means. There are different types of employment contracts depending on the type of work you are doing. Read more about what a contract is, how to know one when you see it, and what rights you have as an employee.

Finally, you can read about payroll tax deduction. Payroll tax deduction is another type of allowance (much like housing and healthcare allowance) filed under labour law. If you are working, you are able to apply for this allowance in order to deduct your tax. You can read more about this in greater detail under Payroll Tax Deduction.

Image of working desk labour law