Sign up for housing utilities


College Life and UnitedConsumers are collaborating on making your life easy. Find the deal that suits you the most by choosing the product or service you'd like to sign up for. Then, simply compare the available offers and select the one that works best for you. Remember, that you can only sign product & service contracts if you meet the following criteria:

1) You have a Dutch bank account (don't have one yet?)
2) You have a Dutch address (don't have one yet?)

It's easier than you might think

Watch this video that will guide you through the entire process on the website of UnitedConsumers. Since the website is in Dutch, we've translated every step to make it easier for you. When you're ready to compare plans, click here.

Contact Support

1) Dial  040 235 05 06

2) Press "1"

 Frequently Asked Questions

Why should we sign up through College Life?

College Life works directly with United Consumers in order to bring you tailored deals for products & services. Since United Consumers is a consumer collective, all products & services are discounted from their regular rates / tariffs.

What is a consumer collective?

You have probably heard about it: a consumer collective. A collective health insurance for example. You can usually only join the collective through an employer. This is almost impossible for individuals. This is why United Consumers is a consumer collective for everyone. United Consumers offers you benefit on your health insurance, car insurance, energy, mobile subscription and fuel. The company buys products & services in bulk which allows them to get discounts. These discounts are then directly transferred to the offers.

How can I contact support?

You can contact support directly at 040 - 235 05 60. Press 1 for utilities, 2 for health insurance, and 4 for telecom

What is the difference between a single meter & a double meter?

A single meter is one meter that keeps track of your electricity usage. A double meter will include two meters, one for normal (day) usage & one for expensive (night) usage.

How do I estimate my energy usage?

You do not have to estimate the energy usage yourself. The calculator will estimate your usage based on the number of people you live with. Based on this estimation, you will then pay a monthly instalment and at the end of a term (usually 1 year) your actual usage will be calculated. You will then either receive a refund for the usage surplus, pay for the excess usage or do nothing.

Signing up for home utilities (gas, electricity and water) is required if you are renting out accommodation excluding utilities. Although most student housing offers on the market include home utilities, real estate agencies will often promote offers that exclude utilities. In addition to selecting providers of these home utilities, you will be required to pay taxes on the accommodation you are renting out. Make sure to read our complete student housing guide to prepare for specific taxes you can expect when renting out excluding utilities to avoid any unexpected fees.

College Life is collaborating with UnitedConsumers to provide you with cheap gas & electricity subscriptions. For some home utilities, such as water & energy, your selection might be restricted to only one or two companies, since they have special agreements in the areas where you live in. In contrast, there is a large selection of electricity, internet & landline providers.

It is important to also understand how you get billed for utilities. Usually, at the start of your contracts with home utility companies, you will receive a monthly estimation based on the average estimated consumption of the specific utility at your accommodation. Logically, the more students you live with the more you will pay (imagine the bills of frat & sorority houses!). Usually, at the end of a cycle (1 year), your actual consumption will be calculated and the difference between the estimated (estimated usage) and actual (real usage) will either result in a surplus or a deficit. If you are in a surplus, the home utility company will refund you for the difference. However, if you are in a deficit, you will have to pay the difference. Usually, this is no problem, as the companies are flexible with arranging payments in installments (in case you would be in a deficit).