Getting ready for the new semester? How about picking up a new internship? Interning is a great experience; not only are you getting closer to your possible future career, but you are also practicing your skills and boosting your CV with new experience. How to do well at your new internship, you ask? Read on, my friend...
Whether you’re a pro-intern (i.e. you’ve been interning every summer since junior year in high school) or you’re a first-timer (i.e. you are lowkey terrified of starting Monday morning), there are some things you can do to make sure you stand out and do a great job. So, without further ado, here are 12 internship tips to make you the best intern ever.
1. Do anything and everything you are told to do or are offered to do. Now is not the time to be asking for better tasks…or worse, getting sulky because you think you are above it. Everything you do is valuable, and you want to show that you are willing to work hard!
2. On that note, be enthusiastic, no matter what you are asked to do. And do everything the best you can!
3. Networking is key; you can meet loads of people that might help you in your career, and you can learn from everyone you meet.
4. Ask questions: this shows them that you are engaged and interested, and are taking initiative to learn as much as you can. What does this mean? Why do we do that? Why is this important for the company? (But not so that, like, every single thing that comes out of your mouth is a question, because that could probably get annoying really fast).
5.Be polite; it will get you far! And yes, it’s good to socialise, but put a filter on it (these aren’t your frat bros, so remember to always keep it professional)
Do your best!
6. Pay attention to detail: the fonts you use and presentation of your work is also important. No one wants to go over your work and see you’ve used Comic Sans to write a report…
7. Before your first day, make sure to do your research on the place you will be interning at. Look at their philosophy, organisation and structure, key people, their history… it will give you a better idea of where you are working and will show that you are prepared
8. Ask for feedback, because you can always improve and it shows you are willing to learn and do better.
Treat it like a real job (even if you aren’t getting paid)
9. Time management is so important! Whether that be catching the bus early enough or finishing your tasks on time, early is always better than late. Also, don’t walk out of the office 5 minutes before your day is finished; just those 5 minutes can really show your employer how motivated or respectful you are.
10. Dress appropriately: there’s a lot of research showing that people are influenced by what you wear, and YOU might feel more confident if you dress for success! If you’re working at a consulting firm, don’t wear sweatpants and sneakers (well, don’t wear that to any internship at all, actually). You should know what kind of dress code is expected in the office; if you don’t, don’t be afraid to email and ask before you start. Get a killer, work-appropriate wardrobe right here.
11. Do appropriate things in your lunch break (don’t go on Snapchat to snap your sandwich). That might be socialising with other interns or other employees, if that seems like something good to do.
12. Set personal goals to challenge yourself to do well and ace your new internship!
And that's how you ace your new internship...
And remember, enjoy your new internship and treat it as a valuable experience. These tips for interns should do the trick. You never know, maybe someday you will look back and think: ah yes, that was the internship that changed my life (or the one that paid for my Greece trip…)
With these tips, you are sure to ace your internship like a pro!
Do you have any other tips on how to ace your internship? Let us know!